Monday, November 15, 2010

Things Black Girls Do





While checking Twitter the other day, I noticed that the number 2 trending topic was “things black girls do.” I don't know how to begin to describe the shock and disgust at some of the things people had to say about how they perceived black girls. It was as if every negative stereotype I've ever heard was resurrected and re-tweeted.


My first reaction was to try to counteract the negativity with positive tweets of my own. But let's face it: there's no way that one person could out tweet millions. So I've decided to dedicate this blog post to celebrating something positive that black writers do.


In my endless quest to find encouragement through literature, I recently stumbled upon a book called I'm Every Woman: Remixed Stories of Marriage, Motherhood, and Work byLonnae O'neal Parker. By sharing personal stories and lessons she learned as a mother, a black woman and a writer, Parker's words left me feeling as if she really is every woman and that I could be too. In a society where women often assume many different roles, it can be very overwhelming. Kudos to Parker for using her words to give inspiration.


Which books or stories inspire you?


For more information about Parker and her book:


http://scs.georgetown.edu/departments/11/master-of-professional-studies-in-journalism/faculty-bio.cfm?a=a&fId=1088



You can even email her or friend her on Facebook:

Email: oneall@washpost.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=573087684


No comments: