Monday, November 29, 2010

Buy a Book By a Black Author Month??


While reading a blog (http://welcomewhitefolks.blogspot.com/), I discovered that December has been designated as “National Buy a Book By a Black Author and Give it to Somebody Not Black Month.” My first thought was, “awesome!” My second thought was “why didn't I come up with that?”

I read about how the idea came about (http://welcomewhitefolks.blogspot.com/2008/11/buy-book-for-somebody-white-this.html) and I must say it is pretty clever. I'm always happy to share a good read with my friends, so I thought that this idea was particularly interesting. After all, how many non-ethnic reads have been passed on to me? It dawned me that I was being a little selfish by not sharing.

Since this idea is super cool, I decided to begin the search for the perfect book to buy for one of my non-black friends. I love the advice given on the blog: “white people already know about Toni Morrison, so please choose something else besides A Mercy.” I'll let you know which book I decide on.

I would encourage you to do the same. Sharing is caring... Happy reading!

No comments: