Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Celebrate Good Times, Come On!


It's that time of the year that we've come to know as the "holiday season". Every time you turn around, there's some holiday or another to celebrate.

There's Christmas, Chanukah and Kwaanza, New Year... There's something for almost everyone. I don't really celebrate any holidays, but I don't really "not celebrate" them either, if that makes any sense. Case in point: For Christmas I went to my aunt's house for dinner, but I didn't do any Christmas shopping, send any personal (or mass) text messages wishing anyone a Merry Christmas, or really do much of anything that I've been trained to associate with the holiday.

I did, however, begin to reflect upon the holiday season as a whole and I did become curious about holidays in general. I started thinking about what I've been trained to think versus what I actually think and thought that I should probably do some reading. So I took to doing a google search for some type of literature that could help me put things into perspective.

So far I've come up with two titles:

The most interesting title of all is Santa's Kwaanza, by Garen Eileen Thomas. I ordered this at amazon.com. An African American Santa returns to the North Pole after Christmas and he and his family celebrate Kwaanza from the Twenty-sixth of December through the first week of January. A very creative holiday story with fun illustrations.

The other title that I ordered is Making Room In The Inn: Christmas Hospitality Through An African American Experience. I could only find this story on one site: http://www.c28.com/shopping/productdetails.asp?recordid=100229&adid=GBase. This is an Advent study celebrating Christmas traditions from an African American family's perspective.

I think the holiday season is great because in this country there are so many places that are closed and there are so many people who get time off from work in order to celebrate. Whether or not you observe any holidays, you can still see family and/or friends just because they'll likely have free time. That's something to celebrate.

Happy Reading!

No comments: