Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Percival Everett gets his props


Anybody who knows me (Martha) knows how much I love Percival Everett's novel Erasure. It is a brilliant examination of just how black pathology has been marketed and merchandised by larger industries--and sometimes by ourselves. It shoots directly at at Sapphire's Push (now back in the news because of Precious, the upcoming movie based on the novel) and it scores--big time. It's also hilarious.

I haven't yet read Everett's latest I Am Not Sidney Poitier --out the end of this month--but it's getting great initial word of mouth. And if you haven't read this guy--make a point of it. When you talk about ambitious fiction by a contemporary African-American writer, he's one you should mention. Let's hope this book is his breakout.

3 comments:

michael a. gonzales said...

love his work...

Qiana said...

I can't wait for the new book! Thanks for this link.

Doret said...

I finally read Erasure, finished it yesterday. I loved it. Now I am really looking forward to Everett's new book.